Once there was a farmer in Africa who was happy and content. He was happy because he was working in his farm and he was able to earn enough to take care of his family. One day a wise man came to him and told him about the glory of diamonds.
The wise man said “If you had a diamond of the size of your thumb, you could buy the whole town. You would be the richest man of the town and you would never have to work again”
Then the wise man told him about many others farmers who became millionaires by finding diamonds. The farmer had never heard about diamonds before. He could not sleep that night. Now he was unhappy and discontent.
The next morning he made arrangements to sell off his farm, he gave some money to his wife to take care of the children and went away in the search of diamonds.
He looked all over Africa but he couldn’t find any diamond. Then he went to Europe. When he got to Spain, he was emotionally, physically and financially broke.
The farmer got so disheartened that he threw himself into the river and committed suicide.
Meanwhile, the man who had bought his farms, was passing by the stream that ran through the farm. Suddenly he saw the bright flashes of blue and red lights from the bottom of the stream.
He bent down and picked a large one of these sparkling stones. He brought this stone home. Several weeks later, the wise man came back and looked at the sparkling stone. He asked the farmer if he knew what he’d found. When the farmer said “No”, the wise man told him that it is one of the largest diamonds in the world.
The farmer had trouble believing that. They both went to stream and picked some samples and sent them for analysis. Sure enough, the stones were diamonds.
The farm, the first farmer had sold, so that he might find a diamond, turned out to be the most productive diamond mine of the entire Africa.
What is the moral of this story ?
- Opportunity is always under your feet. You don’t have to go anywhere.
- At this moment, you are standing in the middle of your own acres of diamond.
- All you need to do is recognize the opportunity.
- The same opportunity never knocks twice. The next opportunity may be better or worse.
- Grab the opportunity with both hands when it knocks your door.
Buy This Book from Amazon
After finishing her study in computer science in 2005, she chooses to work in the economic - financial sector (as an accountant) to take a closer look on economic reality. Now she works as a full time blogger, writer and editor on the subject of personal finance.
You may also like:
Do You Like This Blog?
More than 7000 People Follow this Blog
Best-seller Books – Read in only 10 Minutes
Popular Articles You Should Read
Here’s How You can invest your money
Here’s How You can Earn more money
Inspirational Stories for You
Short, downloadable book summaries written by us that you can save to your computer, print out, and share with others.
1. Rich Dad Poor Dad -- This is one of the fewest books that has been on the bestseller list for more than a decade. This book is the best personal finance book of all time.
2. The Richest Man In Babylon -- The book is very interesting and full of short stories of the rich people who reveal the secrets of their wealth. This is a small book but it has improved the financial life of millions of people around the world.
3. Think And Grow Rich -- It is a motivational book written by Napoleon Hill, it was first published in 1937 during the time of great depression. This book has been on the bestseller list from last 74 years.
4. The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People -- It is a #1 National Bestseller book on personal development, written by Stephen R. Covey. It has sold more than 15 million copies since its first publication in 1989.
5. How To Win Friends And Influence People -- This book is written by Dale Carnegie and it was first published in 1937. Now it takes place in publishing history as one of the all-time international best-seller.
- Business Biography (13)
- Financial Education (35)
- Frequently asked Questions (8)
- Goal Setting (29)
- Health & Success (9)
- Inspirational Stories (16)
- Investing (31)
- Job hunting and Career (5)
- Management and Leadership (10)
- Money Tips (26)
- Motivational (36)
- Personal Finance (42)
- Savings (6)
- Self Help (43)
- Self Improvement (45)
- Silver and Gold (5)
- Skills (10)
- Small Business (10)
- Stocks and real Estate (25)
- Success (39)
- Time Management (13)
- Wealth (47)
- Women and Business (20)
A Note to Our Readers
We at Readtoawake.com encourage our readers to purchase the books we summarize. These summaries are for busy professionals, who do not have much time to read all the books. We help them to select the best business and personal finance books.
English is not our motherlanguage so please ignore the grammatical errors and focus on the message.